Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Figure Maniacs Sailor Moon

Photobucket

I've never been a huge fan of Sailor Moon figures. I'm not sure why. However, ever since I saw the Figure Maniacs Sailor Moon in an anime magazine years ago, it's been on my wishlist. I should have bought her ages ago, but never did, for reasons I'll explain at the end of the post. This is also one of the things I've been meaning to do with this blog for a long time: post comprehensive reviews of Sailor Moon merchandise. Pictures from every angle, comparison photos, detailed descriptions, even video (if it's relevant). So, let's take a look at this gorgeous figure!

Photobucket

Since the teaser picture was essentially the front of the box, here's the back. I have no idea what any of this says, btw. I've always thought this blog would be infinitely more useful if I knew Japanese, and am a little ashamed that I don't :/

Photobucket

Inside cover and first page. So far, so good. I love the silhouette. I didn't want to bend the pages back too far, so that's why all of the photos are like this.

Photobucket

This is the first page of the guide.

Photobucket

Lol disembodied finger. I really need to paint my nails.

Photobucket

They included that rare Myu figurine! This is the other Sailor Moon figure I would really like to have. Anyway, that's about it for the Sailor Moon pages. The rest of the book is pretty much like the Sailor Moon section but for many, many other anime, and there's some stuff in the back showing how figures are made. Moving on to the figure itself..

Photobucket

This picture is really unnecessary.

Photobucket

And here she is! I love this figurine so much. I've always preferred manga style Sailor Moon, but the figure is gorgeous in itself.

Photobucket

It's really refreshing to have a Sailor Moon figure that doesn't fall over all the time. She's about 4" tall, including the stand.

Photobucket

Not the best picture, but I wanted to compare her with one of the regular gashapon. Unsurprisingly, she's much more detailed, with a better stand (not that that's difficult) and very nice colors. I think they did a much better job on her eyes, too; very true to the manga and even the anime.


Even if you're like me and not a big fan of the regular gashapon, I highly recommend this figure. She works really well as a standalone too; I always feel with the gashapon that I need to have them all in a set, and then I need every set, and still wouldn't like how they displayed.

As for why I never bought this figure before, I just couldn't justify the usual pricetag for a figure when I don't really collect figures. I also suspected I'd be able to get a good deal on her one day. Even though collecting Sailor Moon merchandise is expensive almost by definition, you might be surprised at how cheap I can be. So, last week, I suddenly had the idea to look up "figure maniacs" on eBay without the "Sailor Moon" keyword. Sure enough, I found a poorly titled auction that other Sailor Moon fans missed and got her for $30 shipped. Not a huge bargain, but reasonable enough for me. So if you're in the market to buy this figure, be patient, and give that a try! If you're patient enough, you can find pretty much anything at an amazing price.

3 comments:

Bunnylove said...

This figure is one of the best. She's so beautiful. I love too this manga style :)

Sakky said...

Wow thanks for the pics and review! I just bought one of these and I'm excitedly waiting for it to arrive! I adore PGSM so I was really excited about this figure. Somehow I imagined it would be larger, so I'm glad I saw your post and now I won't be surprised ;P

chibi said...

I thought it would be larger too XD

But wow, that figure is awesome :D Wish I had one >x<